Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses - Perils CD (album) cover

Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses

4 stars I found this band completely randomly, and decided to give them a listen based on the name. The name does befit this band. They play a darkly quirky sort of avant garde folk rock. The music sounds like they are trying to scare the listener, but all the while have a smile in the corners of their mouths. The songs are short by prog standards, with the longest topping around seven minutes, but this band doesn't necessarily require long, elaborate songs, and within the shorter timeframe they choose, they develop their ideas nicely. The album flows nicely as well, with each song forming a segway into the next, and is an album I would just listen to all the way through. Acoustic instruments abound here, and violin, glockenspiel, harmonium, and piano are added to the normal rock lineup of guitar, bass, and drums. The album is also completely instrumental. None of the tracks are weak, however, as much as I'd like to, I don't think I could call it a complete masterpiece, so I'm going to have to give it four stars. I'd recommend this album to any adventurous listener or fan or avant garde or progressive folk. The music is adventurous and avant garde, but not completely chaotic like a lot of avant prog, making it one of the more accessible releases for the genre that I've heard.
sean | 4/5 |