Family - A Song For Me CD (album) cover

A SONG FOR ME

Family

UMUR
3 stars A Song For Me is the third full length studio album from Family. I´m very fond of their debut album Music in a Doll´s House while my hopes for another great album from the band was somewhat lowered after listening to their second album Family Entertainment. It´s a good album but it never met my high expectations after listening to the excellent debut. A Song For Me is better than the way too polished Family Entertainment, but not as good as the debut. Less can do it in this case though.

The music from Family is characterised by holding elements from many different genres and even though the main element is rock there are also elements from Classical music, jazz and folk/ country. A very interesting mix of genres that generally works well.

There are some really great songs on A Song For Me and album opener Drowned in Wine is one of the best and most powerful tracks on the album. Love is a Sleeper introduces a new element in Family´s sound which are Vibes. A good song that one too. Wheels is a great eclectic and progressive song. There are also a couple of fillers that don´t mean much to me. Stop For The Traffic-Through The Heart Of Me is one such song. The album ends with the hard rocking title track which reminds me a bit about Led Zeppelin. It´s a bit too long and repetitive though ( The repetitive element is also something Led Zeppelin could be accused of having in some of their songs).

One of the biggest assets to Family´s sound is without a doubt singer Roger Chapman. His vocals are outstanding and compared to his performance on Family Entertainment his performance on A Song For Me are much stronger and even crazy sometimes. The rest of the band are also excellent and well playing musicians.

The production is excellent. A bit more raw than on Family Entertainment and that´s exactly what was needed for Family. A bit more attitude and bite.

A Song For Me is a good album but and my rating lies somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. I´ll give it a BIG 3 star rating.

UMUR | 3/5 |