Emerson Lake & Palmer - Emerson Lake & Powell CD (album) cover

EMERSON LAKE & POWELL

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Gatot
3 stars It's not the finest album in terms of ELP comparison or progressive vein. But if you like other ELP albums, it's worth collecting. It contains classic ELP sound and some poppy stuffs. For me personally, my main temptation to own this album was not only because of Keith Emerson and Greg Lake, but also it featured one of my favorite rock drummers: Cozy Powell. I like Powell's solo album "Octopuss" - great rock music with excellent orchestration (some tracks) and of course . excellent drumming. I also like Rainbow albums that featured Powell on drums.

"Touch and Go" is a simple rock track that once was popular in my hometown and some local bands covered this track in a program called "Legend of the Month" featuring ELP. This track is probably the easiest song to emulate and has a sort of up-tempo and energy with a touch of light classic music. "Love Blind" is a straight forward pop track with good vocal line and solo keyboard at background. "Step Aside" is an interesting track with heavy influence of jazz. Jazz lovers would love this track. It's probably due to this track is performed by ELP that makes me liking this track. "Mars, Bringer of War" composed in a classic ELP style with classical music influence, dominated by keyboard sounds. Drum stools are played like a mars to march troops for a war.

It's not the kind of "Brain Salad Surgery" or "Trilogy" or "Pictures At an Exhibition" or "Tarkus" music but this ELPowell is a good one to have. You still can hear the powerful voice of Lake and unique Emerson keyboard work. Rating 3.25/5. GW, Indonesia.

Gatot | 3/5 |