Subterranean Masquerade - Temporary Psychotic State CD (album) cover

TEMPORARY PSYCHOTIC STATE

Subterranean Masquerade

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
4 stars Temporary Psychotic State is the debut EP from US progressive metal act Subterranean Masquerade. The two song EP was released in 2004 and has a playing time that says 17:21 minutes. I must admit that when I saw the name Subterranean Masquerade the first time I was instantly turned off. I thought to myself that it was a really foolish name and I imagined a bad Dream Theater clone. This is fortunately as far from the truth as possible and Iīm really glad that I decided to give Subterranean Masquerade a chance after all because this is truly a unique and very eclectic band.

The music defies catagorization as there are both elements from acoustic folk and rockīnīroll to death growls and extreme metal and everything in between. What can be said about the music is that it is slow building and very interesting. There are lots of different parts in both songs and they never get boring or repetitive. The vocals from Paul Kuhr are really great. He adds a lot of emotion to the music. There is some really great violin playing in Temporary Psychotic State (A Recollection Of Where It All Began) which is the first song on the EP. Female vocals also appear in the second song called Observation Through Metamorphosis. The music is generally not very metal orientated but when the metal parts do appear they are pretty heavy with growling vocals. Itīs actually pretty confusing music but also really unique and exciting.

The musicianship is excellent and I especially enjoy the great vocals from Paul Kuhr and the intriguing acoustic guitar riffs.

The production is excellent in the parts with acoustic guitar but not as good in the heavy parts. Those parts are a bit thin sounding and lacks bottom IMO.

I can only say that this is one of those very rare times where I have actually found a truly progressive and unique band. I honestly canīt tell you who have inspired Subterranean Masquerade because their sound is so different from anything else. A really exciting choice if you want to hear music which explore new ground. A deserved 4 star rating IMO. Iīll be looking forward to listening to their full length debut from 2005 called Suspended Animation Dreams to see if the eclectic style holds water for the duration of a whole album.

UMUR | 4/5 |