Orphaned Land - The Beloved's Cry (Demo) CD (album) cover

THE BELOVED'S CRY (DEMO)

Orphaned Land

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
2 stars The Beloved's Cry is a demo album from Israelian progressive extreme metal act Orphaned Land. The demo was originally released by the band but has since been re-released a couple of times with an added DVD bonus track on the re-release from M.D.M.A Records from 1999. To be honest Iīve always kept my distance to the band. When their debut album Sahara was released I listened to it in a record store and dismissed it and I havenīt listened to any other album from the band since. Iīm trying to make amends to that by listening to the albums now and reviewing them.

The music on The Belovedīs Cry is in Doom/ Death metal territory. There are not many progressive tendencies here. There are a few middle eastern sounding parts but they are very few. Bands like Paradise Lost ( Lost Paradise, Gothic) and Novemberīs Doom comes to mind. Most songs on the album is in that doom death style with deep growling vocals and heavy doomy but generally mid-paced riffs. The title track stand out though as it is a ballad/ duet where vocalist Kobi Farhi sings clean and is complimented by a female voice. Beautiful but not excellent. It reminds me a bit of the gothic tinged Moonspell.

The musicianship is good, but the interplay is not really that interesting. I like the deep growling vocals though.

The production is good when you remember that itīs a demo. This is below standard studio album quality though.

The Belovedīs Cry is a pretty good Doom/ death album but itīs not very interesting to me personally. I much prefer other releases in that genre. 2 stars will be my rating.

UMUR | 2/5 |