King Crimson - Three Of A Perfect Pair CD (album) cover

King Crimson

friso
3 stars O what more can be said

an interesting record...

Yeah, the '80. In this Ultimate hard times for progressive rock King Crimson came with two records, Beat and Three of a pefect pare. The band was called King Crimson because of the music industry that wouldn't allow Robert Fripp to call the band Discipline. They wouldn't have got a recordcompany deal. This record has nothing to do with the '70 King Crimson however. I would discribe it as experimental Wave music. The first thing I thought when I listened to it was: WHOW this is very bad '80 mainstream rock!

When you accept the fact that this is totally different you can begin to even like this offering. Three of a perfect pair is a nice song with a lot tension building a loats of strang guitar slides. It is progressive in how tones are played, not in song structure. This counts for the record as an hole. It sometimes has s pop feel when the instruments are still played in a very progressive way.

Model Man is a song I like for it's lyrics and it's themes that can't get out of my head. It just realy works. Sleepless is an 100% '80 wave recording. I a way realy bad, in a way very interesting. For it's still mister Frip influencing this whole project. The keyboard sound like a very poppish '80 rock production though.

Man with an open hard is a bad popsong. Nothing to offer for progressive rock adicts. Nuages and Industry are instrumental moviesoundrack like compositions. They realy sound very industrial. It's like an '80 version of side two of In the Wake of Poseiden. Interpreted like this it is very interesting.

Dig me is hardcore strange. A totally psyched up guitar part and a pop chorus. Not realy my kind of thing, but again, a very interesting view on music possibilities. After this the record keeps getting weirder. Some nice experimentation finishes the record.

What to rate now?

It ain't poor, it is defenitly not for fans (they will not like it as they see it as an real King Crimson record), it's good but not essential. So... three stars with the comment: interesting....

friso | 3/5 |