Hatfield And The North - Hatfield And The North CD (album) cover

Hatfield And The North

Canterbury Scene

4 stars This is a pretty easy album for me to review. I absolutely love the instrumental portions and the parts where the vocals are not really words but just some sort of bizarre accompaniment to the instruments. If I were only reviewing these portions, then this would be a 5 star album. I am not a big fan of the vocals that almost sound like spoken words rather than singing. These tunes are not bad but they don't do much for me and would get 3 star ratings. So, overall, the album is a solid 4 star because there are a lot of very kool instrumental portions. This really sounds a lot like The Soft Machine, which makes sense since the bands share members. I agree with those that say this is very representative of the Canterbury Scene. If you don't like this, then Canterbury is probably not for you.
digdug | 4/5 |