Formula 3 - Sognando e Risognando CD (album) cover

SOGNANDO E RISOGNANDO

Formula 3

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Proghead
4 stars Third album by this Italian prog band that circled around Alberto Radius, Gabriele Lorenzi, and drummer Toni Cicco. Radius and Lorenzi were later members of IL VOLO. "Sognando e Risognando" is said to be their most progressive and best album, but since I hadn't heard their other albums, I can't say how they're like. Anyway, this isn't the most original Italian prog album you'll ever hear, the influences of PFM and ELP are a bit obvious, but if that sounds good, you're certain to like this album. Keyboards include Hammond organ, Moog synthesizer, piano, and string synths, and the band also included a bassist and drummer (I hear some guitar, but isn't the most dominant of instruments).

The album is mostly divided in to suites, so as you might guess, it's basically a couple of extended cuts that go through many different changes and themes. There's also a more pop-oriented number sandwiched between all the extended stuff. The album cover has got to be one of the most tasteless I have ever seen (I am surprised I never heard this album cover causing outrage in Italy). Ignore the tasteless cover, because the music itself is quite decent prog, and I'd recommend it for those who enjoy PFM and ELP.

Proghead | 4/5 |