Pendragon - As Good As Gold  CD (album) cover

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Another fine EP from one of neo prog biggest names. Pendragon has never released bad material, but I really didn´t like the edit version of As Good As Gold (the whole slow introduction was cut out. Ouch!). I understand if they wanted to have some radio play they had to make some concessions, but as it turned out they did not get any extra radio airplay as far as I know. Anyway, I had the original version on The Masquerade Overture and the remaining three tracks were so good they more then compensate for the edited As Good As Gold.

The centerpiece of this EP is the wonderful Midnight Running, one of their classics. This is the first song I ever heard by Pendragon and immediatly won my heart and ears. Great guitar solo, excellent keys and a good driving rhythm. The vocals may be the most demanding Nick Barret ever tried (which may explains why I never saw him singong it live). Bird of Paradise is a very fine, melancholic, slow number, with a exquisite guitar and piano intro that develps into a mid pace rhythm midway through the song. Only A Million Miles Away is not up to the other tracks standard, being slightly less interesting. Still it has its merits and again Nick Barrett does a great vocal line on this tune (yes, he sings better than I initially thought).

A good companion for the other great Pendragon EP (Falling Dreams and Angels). I´m glad I bought it and I recommend it to any Pendragon or neo prog fan.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |