Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire CD (album) cover

BIRDS OF FIRE

Mahavishnu Orchestra

friso
4 stars Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire

I own this lp record for a week now and I'm enslaved! I'm not a pro in the jazzrock/fusion erea, but this sounds realy good! Mahavishnu Orchestra sounds as a jazzrock group with solo's from both guitar, violin and keyboards. Also the drummer does a great job here, inspiring I'd say. Some themes are played with guitar and violin playing the same theme giving it the Mahavishnu sound. Also very noticable is the dissonant sound of lots of the compositions. Some themes remind of the better themes of King Crimson like the maintheme of Circus. A heavy dark jazz experience that's very interesting from the beginning till the last piece. No vocals here - just superb musicanship. This record does not contain easy listening tracks because of three elements; unlogical themes, extreme musicanship during solo's and the heavy atmospheres during the bit more quiet tracks.

The recording is 100% perfect, it is a good example for the possibilities of its time. Some songstructures are missing though. More pieces of only one theme are played as complete compositions. What I like about that is that the atmosphere of every song keeps in tact over the whole song.

For me a great introduction in jazzrock/fusion. Highly recommended! Five stars!

* Edited. Okey, i still like this album, but I don't think it's nearly as pleasant as my other 'masterpieces', so I'll rate it four stars in stead. Still recommended.

friso | 4/5 |