It Bites - The Tall Ships CD (album) cover

THE TALL SHIPS

It Bites

stewe
5 stars As I've become huge fan of guitarist, vocalist and in my opinion one of the most talented todays musicians John Mitchell (of Arena, Kino, John Wetton band and many others), and his collaboration with founding It Bites keyboardist, great John Beck in successful prog-pop project Kino - from return of It Bites I expected a lot. Thanks to them I also started to listen to old It Bites, that really impressed me with their extreme originality and impressive musicianship in the difficult 80s - to me they've become one of greatest artists' surprises.

The Tall Ships is perfect blend of both bands. It carries on enough of spirit of original It Bites but brings us less ironical and satirical and more intimate, sophisticated and smooth approach (similar to Kino). As Beck said, Mitchell is only person for him who can replace Frank Dunnery (original member) brilliantly both on vocals and guitar.

Both Johns are back in full creativity, three years since Kino, their songwriting and skills have matured and grew like the wine. They also share also the bass lines, because of sudden departure of original bassist. Founding drummer Bob Dalton remained, so this trio recorded entire thing. It is pleasure to listen such truly intelligent music with real feeling, without shallowness or arrogance. No weak song, all of them could appeal on musicians for top-notch skills and great sound (though it's home-made recording). Many of cuts also call for progressivists (complex rhythms, arrangements and dynamic shifts), but of course to listeners of easy pop/rock for its immediate catchiness, riffing and whole sounding. Though accessible, every listening reveals something new and brings a lot of new feelings and experiences.

Notable is unbelievable Mitchell's raspy singing throughout and his breathtaking vocalization with Beck. Hard to pick the favourites, but while listening closer This is England I can only wonder how magical music can be. It is like modern Bohemian Rhapsody (okey . with Carry on Wayward Son riff:). Such a spectrum of emotions, moods and shifts it brings us this fantastic piece of music art, like, in fact, this whole album surely is.

stewe | 5/5 |