Curved Air - Second Album CD (album) cover

SECOND ALBUM

Curved Air

ZowieZiggy
3 stars Facing some lack of inventiveness to name their second album, ''Curved Air'' won't be short of inspiration in terms of music (and I guess that this is the most important). At least for two great songs;

The best known track from this album sounds fully psychedelic and is quite catchy(''Back Street Luv''). It was a minor hit (the band was never used to the charts) and holds all the childishness of the era. It is amazing to how close both Sonja and Jerney (''Earth & Fire'') sound like. Needless to say that I am in love with both of their voices.

Still, it is the instrumental parts of the great opener ''Young Mother'' that I prefer. But this might be related to some production problems. What annoys me with this recording is that after these two opening numbers there are hardly great things to expect here. Some good guitar break at the end of ''You Know'' is indeed very pleasant but this is rather a shortcut.

Don't get me wrong: none of the tracks are bad, but there are very few exciting moments featured on this ''Second Album''. Some complex and jazzy beats in ''Everdance'' can't really thrill me and their interpretation of some ''Bright Summer' Of 68'' is too hectic to be catchy. So far, there are not so many reasons to shout out for masterpiece to say the least.

This album is highly saved by the epic and closing number: ''Piece Of Mind''. Almost thirteen minutes of an enjoyable trip on a curved boat. This is maybe the song that justifies some links with ''Renaissance'' (other than the fact that both bands have a female vocalist).

Lots of classical influences are superbly rendered with both the piano and the great violin of course. The fast vocal delivery is just astounding and worth the detour (like in the Michelin guide). This long track is the most complex of the whole, and it isn't easy to apprehend. I can't say that it is melodic, but it is hypnotic and once you get hooked, there is no way out: you'll be conquered as I was.

If I do the math correctly, half of this album is very good while the other half is just average. Conclusion for rating isn't too difficult: three stars.

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |