Protest the Hero - Kezia CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

ProgBagel
2 stars Protest the Hero - 'Kezia' 2.5 stars

Technical metal meets.indie?

Those two genres are an impossible mix in my opinion. This bands sound right off the bat just does not agree with me. It is practically impossible to be hardcore or technical and then try a pop vocal line somewhere in there. That is why hardcore bands have such a mediocre song structure. Just going crazy and then having a 'random' break where they can sound like the bands that they try to be the opposite of like Simple Plan or Good Charlotte. It is a really cheap way to get fans and a decent following of mindless drones.

Anyway, the songs are unbelievably disconnected on this album. There are too many shifts that aren't transferred well at all. I can't even hear a single track that sticks out. I don't recommend this at all unless you are diehard to hear anything that sounds technical, or are interested in poppish hooks in very brutal metal.

ProgBagel | 2/5 |