Rush - Not Fade Away CD (album) cover

NOT FADE AWAY

Rush

Queen By-Tor
2 stars In the beginning...

As a major Rush fan, I've been itching to here these two songs for a very long time. This was Rush's debut EP even before their big flying pink letters from the self titled LP hit the shelves. Lucky for me a very kind friend who happened to have the EP was able to send it to me so that I might have gander at what my favorite band sounded like in their fetal stages. I must admit - these songs are pretty fun! They're a far cry from any of the material the band would later record, and even Working Man comes in as a compositional masterpiece in comparison to there tunes, but they're still fun, none the less.

Not Fade Away is a cover tune which was originally performed by Buddy Holly. It's a catchy little number which starts out sounding a hell of a lot like the I Want Candy song in Alex's riffs. There's some great, bluesy playing nearing the end of the number, but overall it's just an upbeat tune. The second song is a Rush original. You Cant Fight It is a little bit closer to how the band would sound when their debut hit the stores, but it is still a wildly different sound. A hard riff and fairly aggressive vocals from the young Geddy Lee show a band who had not yet matured in their song writing, but were still capable musicians. Lyrically, this is a much different album than anything the band would release with Peart, and the lyrics have nothing at all to do with Ayn Rand. Shocking.

Really, if you're not a fan of the band don't worry about this record. At this point in the game it's more of a collector's item than anything else, and clocking it at around 5-minutes it's not like you're missing a great deal of music. Fans on the other hand will be delighted with the lost tunes. 2 stars out of 5, Collectors and Fans will find good use for this disc, others will probably not care enough to hear it twice.

Queen By-Tor | 2/5 |