Necronomicon - Tips Zum Selbstmord CD (album) cover

TIPS ZUM SELBSTMORD

Necronomicon

Krautrock

UMUR
2 stars Tips Zum Selbstmord is the debut and sole album from german act Necronomicon. I was drawn to this album by the the occult nature of the band name and of course the sombre title. I must say that Iīm a bit let down though as the music on this album is not very dark in nature and the german title with translates into something like Ways to Kill yourself or tips to commit suicide refers to lyrics about people destroying the planet through pollution and greed and not personal tragedy which was what I thought it would be about. On top of that the lyrics are really banale and downright embarresing at times. They are by the way sung in german which will probably push a lot of people away. Personally I donīt think it sounds very good on this album either.

Necronomicon is placed in the Krautrock catagory here on PA and they do have a few Krautrock elements in their sound but IMO their music lies somewhere between psychadelic rock and heavy prog. The music is pretty organ heavy courtesy of the brilliantly named Fistus Dickmann. There are also lots of distorted blues influenced guitar soloes and jamming parts. The vocals are really weak and out of tune ( there are some choir like vocals which are pretty good though). Nothing to get excited about IMO. I was actually having a lot of fun during In Memoriam. First of all because of the many statistic facts the band have put into their lyrics. Statements like 16 % of the worldīs population owns 80 % of the worlds recources sung in a gloomy way just cracks me up every time. And when the lyrics are delievered in such a weak and out of tune way Iīm priceless to laughing cramps. Itīs not that I donīt like socially aware lyrics but these are just too banale for me to enjoy.

The musicianship isnīt the strongest Iīve heard and besides the weak vocals the band donīt seem very tight either.

The production is below standard. Pretty amateurish. It sounds like itīs recorded in someoneīs garage.

After listening to Tips Zum Selbstmord itīs not hard to imagine why Necronimicon only released one album. This music is simply below standard. Iīm sure fans of the german heavy prog/ psychadelic scene can find something pleasurable in this album but for me it doesnīt hold much interest. Itīs not all bad though and a 2 star rating is deserved. There are even 3 star moments here and there on the album but overall itīs a 2 star rating from me.

UMUR | 2/5 |