Myrbein - Myrornas Krig CD (album) cover

5 stars Myrbein is drastic and original avant-prog band. Swedish avant-garde folk jazz humour (eg. Samla Mammas Manna) is present both in vocals and even parodic experimentation. I don't usually like parodic music or even humour in music, but this is somehow so serious, maybe because the music is also very dark and heavy, reminding me of some Zeuhl bands like PSEU and ALTAS, and maybe even more RUINS. So it's almost technical metal sometimes, but also symphonic enough - the red line is there, though the music is complex. This album is also suitable for EGG fans, because there's eg. some kind of mathematical minimalism and organ. Instruments are quite rough, heavy, full-sounding here. Rapid changes applies to the experimental mood, too. The overall impression is harmonic, but there's for example some kind of short operatic lovely avant-garde song and weird funky disco. This music is likewise for KC's "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. II" fans, because this music has some same touch. See their website for music. I love it, and I think you should, too.
progressive | 5/5 |