Landberk - Lonely Land CD (album) cover

LONELY LAND

Landberk

UMUR
4 stars Lonely Land is the second studio album from Swedish progressive rock act Landberk. Or it´s actually a re-recording of their debut album Riktigt Äkta ( 1992) which had Swedish lyrics. Lonely Land has English lyrics and is probably more interesting for most listeners. For me who understand Swedish ( How much depends on which dialect is used) Riktigt Äkta is the preferable one of those two albums. Lonely Land is great too though and an excellent addition to my collection.

The music is pretty eclectic with both symphonic prog, heavy prog and folky elements and fans of the mellotron sound should find great listening pleasure here. The vocals are great most of the time but there are flaws. As it was the case with the first song on Riktigt Äkta called I Nattens Timma ( Night Hour), the best song on the album is also the English language version of that same song called Waltz of the dark riddle. Beautiful sombre song. It´s probably one of my favorite songs not only on these two albums but of of all songs I´ve heard in my life. The rest of the songs are also great and varied progressive rock that´s way above average for our beloved genre. It´s not excellent all the way through though and there are weaker moments on the album.

The musicianship is great and the production is pretty good.

Lonely Land is a small 4 star rating from me and maybe only a big 3 star rating because of the weaker moments but I´ll stretch as I feel that the overall impression is way above average. you just gotta listen to that opening song. What a powerful moment. As I said above it´s an aquired taste if you´ll prefer the Swedish or the English language version of the album but my recommendation goes to the Swedish version.

UMUR | 4/5 |