Sigur Rs - Me Su  Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust CD (album) cover

ME SU EYRUM VI SPILUM ENDALAUST

Sigur Rs

Post Rock/Math rock

Jimbo
2 stars As much as I appreciate Sigur Rs for enrichening my life, their apparent unwillingness to step out of their - undoubtedly - very comfortable zone is becoming a tad tiresome.

Upon first hearing the album, I was positively dazzled by Gobbledigook's quirky, slightly Animal Collective-esque rhythms and vocals. This was something entirely new for the icy chaps. A decidedly accessible pop song with clever structure. While fans of traditional Sigur Rs might be put off by its lack of overt sentimentalism, I maintain that it is their best work since gtis byrjun. Sadly, it's all downhill from there. Inn mr syngur vitleysingur stays within the pop-mold with good results - gone is the element of surprise though, we're back to more familiar soundscapes. What we do have, is a cheerful, well-written SR song, somewhat akin to Hopppolla from Takk...

After that, it seems their will to experiment vanished, and they happily tread the oh-so-familiar grounds for the rest of the album. Slow, ambient-esque ballads with Jonsi's sleepy vocals, beautifully arranged strings & horns, some tasteful piano-pickings here and there - you know the drill... While there might not be anything particularly terrible about that (Sigur Rs certainly know their craft, the compositions are generally of acceptable quality) I have this weird tingling on my back that something is off here. For the first time in their respectable career, they sound just a 'tiny' bit insincere, in my opinion. The compositions are all a bit too obvious, designed to make you wallow in your misery. They only use chords they know to be effective - you'd be hard-pressed to find anything that doesn't fit into this equation.

Admittedly, when under right circumstances, they can be ridiculously soothing. Yet, most of the time I'm left cold, wondering where the passion went, wondering why Sigur Rs have opted to take the safe path home, reducing Me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust to a vaguely pleasant nostalgia trip.

Jimbo | 2/5 |