Gentle Giant - Interview CD (album) cover

INTERVIEW

Gentle Giant

friso
4 stars A musthave for fans, a great album for proglisteners in general.

This is a sort of forgotten, misunderstood and underrated recording of Gentle Giant. Being their 8th studio recording, they were getting out of inspiration. This is their last great effort in my opinion. You can hear some references to older records, but overall it's still very interesting and original.

The opening track is a very Gentle Giant like track, good! I think a lot of people have problems with the reggea influenced (but not sounding like) song Give it back. Actually this is a very decent song with some very nice use of xylophones during the solothemes. Design is a song of the Knots tradition, only a bit stranger (huh?). Yes this is still possible. After a while you begin to like it, though the chants have always touched me in a deep sense. On site two we have 4 great recordings, I lost my Head being one of the best. Here we can hear some very interesting ritmic progression accompanied by great atmospheres, bulls eye.

I can think of no serious mistake the made on this album. All songs are great, the recording is great, all instrument are played very very very interesting and complicated. Even the vocals seem to sound a bit more well recorded then on other albums. The record lives!

So again... very important for fans, though they will have to listen to it more then a few times. This is not the downfall of Gentle Giant! It's just their last musthave record. So... four stars!

friso | 4/5 |