Anekdoten - Gravity CD (album) cover

1 stars I had heard a lot of good things about this band, and being a huge Crimso fan I snatched this album up when I found it. I have listened to it at least a dozen times, and honestly I've tried to like it. I don't see how this is progressive rock. It is straight ahead, 4/4 boring grungy rock, with an overbearing melancholic feel. It sounds like they might have been trying to go in a direction similar to Radiohead, but Radiohead is always interesting and worthwhile. I've heard the bass player was strong, but I don't hear anything rythmically or harmonically interesting on the bottom end. The lyrics on this album are just awful...they really don't have any meaning to me, though the singing isn't bad. Just trying too hard to be "deep" or something but really not wading out of the shallow end. I'm not going to let myself be persuaded from listening to their earlier work if I get a chance. But if this is the way this band is headed, I'm going the other direction.
| 1/5 |