Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire CD (album) cover

Mahavishnu Orchestra

3 stars Not being a musician myself I can't deny the sheer musical ability displayed on this album but, not being a musician myself, I also can't completely appreciate the entirety of the album. The majority of the tracks are nothing but enjoyable (One Word is fantastic) but as the album proceeds the tracks lose their edge. The last three tracks, in fact, fail to hold much interest and are less the a fitting end considering what proceeded them. It breaks down like this: if you yourself are a musician then the album is essential, if you are specifically looking for instrumental skill and fusion then this album is an excellent addition, if you don't fit in either company I'd recommend the album but in doing so I'd let you know that it's good music but you don't need to have it. A solid 3 out of 5.
manofmystery | 3/5 |