David Sylvian - Gone to Earth CD (album) cover

GONE TO EARTH

David Sylvian

UMUR
3 stars Gone to Earth is the third studio album from former Japan frontman David Sylvian. Gone to Earth was originally the second studio album though as Alchemy - An Index of Possibilities (1985) is more a collection of songs from different projects and shouldnīt as such be considered a full studio album. But knowing the style of music David Sylvian plays on Alchemy - An Index of Possibilities helps if you want to understand the style he is playing on Gone to Earth. Gone to Earth was originally an ambitious two-record ( LP) set where the first LP consisted of songs with vocals while the second LP consisted solely of ambient new age music.

Note that early CD re-releases omit the three tracks: Camp Fire: Coyote Country, A Bird of Prey Vanishes Into a Bright Blue Cloudless Sky and Sunlight Seen Through Towering Trees. All three tracks from the second ( ambient) LP. The remastered version of Gone to Earth from 2003 is a two CD edition which includes all the double LP tracks plus remixes of River Man, Gone to Earth and Camp Fire:Coyote Country. The remixes bookend CD one.

CD one is the highlight for me as I mostly enjoy David Sylvianīs music because of his warm, emotional and pleasant voice. The music on CD one is very good too though and songs like the opener Taking The Veil, the beautiful Before The Bullfight which is my favorite on the album and the noisy title track are all excellent examples of why David is such a respected musician. He really has the ability to touch me which is something that rarely happens to me while listening to music these days. The second CD doesnīt do much for me, but itīs not boring or bad by any means, just not my style and I donīt listen to it much. If I do itīs mostly pleasant background muzak.

The musicianship is excellent. Thereīs lots of synth in the music but also flugelhorn which gives the music a melancholic touch. Note the great rythm section too. Robert Fripp ( King Crimson) guests with some of his trademark Frippertronics and adds a bit of spice to some of the compositions.

The production is warm and pleasant and actually Iīm a bit amased that Gone to Earth is an eighties album. If I didnīt know it I would have thought it was from the nineties.

Gone to Earth is an unusual pop/ rock album and perfectly showcases why itīs important that a musicians like David Sylvian is present on PA. If only more pop/ rock artists would dare to challenge conventional songwriting like David Sylvian the world would be a better place to live ( LOL). Well for all my praises Iīm only gonna give Gone to Earth a 3 star rating and thatīs mostly due to the background muzak of the second LP ( CD) which I would have given 2 stars if it had been released on itīs own and as the first LP ( CD) deserves a small 4 star rating in my book Iīll make an average and say 3 stars. The first part of the album is highly recommendable for people who like unusual melancholic new age pop/ rock with an occasional world music touch though.

UMUR | 3/5 |