Paatos - Timeloss CD (album) cover

TIMELOSS

Paatos

UMUR
4 stars Timeloss is the debut album from Swedish progressive rock act Paatos. Paatos lineup features a couple of ex-Landberk members in Stefan Dimle ( Bass, Double bass) and Reine Fiske ( Electric and Acoustic guitars), but while the two gentlemen´s past shines through more than one time during the album´s playing time, Paatos is much more than a Landberk album with female singing.

The album consists of five songs ranging from five to twelve minutes in length. The opening song Sensor is the most powerful of the first four songs and listening to this song it soon becomes clear that you´re in for something special with Timeloss. Lots of vintage keyboard sounds ( mellotron, organ and a few other sounds I can´t name), busy drumming, heavy bass and guitar ( not heavy metal style though) and to top it all a beautiful female vocal. A good mix of retro prog and more modern tendencies.

Hypnotique and They Are Beautiful are mellow beautiful songs which really achive to take me on an emotional journey while Téa is a song sung in the Swedish language. Very beautiful. Just listen to how it builds to a climax in the end. The last song is probably an aquired taste. Quits is a 12:17 minute long track with a relentless frantic jungle like beat that reminds me of Moloko. The vocals have a soul flavour to them and reminds me a bit of Skye Edwards from Morcheeba. The song also has some brass arrangements which gives it a really different sound from the rest of the album. As I said it´s probably an aquired taste but I enjoy it greatly and IMO it ensures that the album is very varied.

The musicianship is excellent. Everyone performs really well on this album and I´m especially impressed with Huxflux Nettermalm´s drumming. What a great and very busy drummer. He really drives the music forward. Petronella Nettermalm is a very strong frontwoman too and needs her share of praise. Beth Gibbons (Portishead) emotional vocal approach is a big influence on Petronella IMO. Petronella has her own style though it´s just hard not to mention Beth when listening to this emotional and dark music.

The production is warm and powerful and everytime that mellotron comes in I´m sold. Really pleasant.

Timeloss is an excellent album and I can´t understand that I wasn´t instantly turned on when I listened to the album at the time of the release. The fact that I wasn´t impressed back then makes it so much sweeter that I´ve given this album and Paatos one more chance though. Timeloss deserves a 4 star rating and a big recommendation from me. Fans of Anekdoten and Landberk is sure to find pleasure with Timeloss but even if you´re not a fan of those bands Timeloss might be an interesting album for you anyway.

UMUR | 4/5 |