IQ - The Road Of Bones CD (album) cover

THE ROAD OF BONES

IQ

PureViewer
3 stars This is my first review on ProgArchives. I started listening to Neo-Prog with "The Visitor" from Arena. After listening to their other works I went for Pendragon and listened to their latest album "Men Who Climb Mountains", and then their whole discography. As a big fan of Pendragon and Arena, I had high expectations from other Neo-Prog bands, including IQ. So I chose their latest and highest-rated album. As soon as I listened to the first track, "From The Outside In", I was hooked and thought that this would be one of my favourites because you know, I really like heavy, dark music.

But I was wrong ... The first two tracks, FTOI and "The Road of Bones" are good actually. I also like the first track on the 2nd disc, "Knucklehead". They transfer the mood well. Also "Without Walls" is not bad. But why don't I like the rest, or the whole album generally? Well, it goes back to my experience with heavy music + Arena and Pendragon. My main problem with this album is that it lacks thundering, bombastic guitar/keyboard solos. Take Arena's 2015 album, "The Unquiet Sky" for example. The keyboard solos in "Time Runs Out" add some very dark, heavy mood and really make the desperation of the narrator stand out. Also the vocals are in sync with that. In contrast, the vocals on The Road of Bones seem to be relaxed and lacking excitement. So are the guitar and keyboard. Another thing to mention is the Peter Nicholls' way of singing. It has too many pauses. It's not fluent. And that's because of the lyrics. They seem to be put forciblely in the songs' structures.

2.5 stars from me.

EDIT: The more I listen to the tracks mentioned (excluding "Without Walls"), the more I love them. "Knucklehead" is my most favourite and I can't decide between "From The Outside In" and "The Road of Bones". Notable moments are 1:35 in FTOI where the electric guitar starts roaring, the sudden kick of keyboards+drums in 6:25 of "The Road of Bones", the addition of atmospheric keyboards in the last storming of "Knucklehead" + when he sings "toll-taking, core-shaking". Also I highly praise the lyrics of "The Road of Bones". They're just powerful. 3 solid stars.

PureViewer | 3/5 |