Grobschnitt - Grobschnitt  CD (album) cover

2 stars While their later albums are clearly progressive, influenced by the likes of Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull, this one has a sound that owes much to the likes of Uriah Heep, Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly. At that time, I was into both "styles", but now I find the latter one tedious and heavy-handed. Strangely enough, the vocal style works better on this album. In fact, the vocal style and the lyrics are the main problems I have with the later progressive albums, since it seems better suited to the kind of music that Spinal Tap later parodied. I apologize to the fans of this album for my holier-than-thou review. If there was just one song on the album that I really liked, that would be enough. Alas, there isn't.
soundsweird | 2/5 |