Zao - Z=7L CD (album) cover

2 stars Zao's Z=7L is, well...just strange. Sort of like Magma meets Return To Forever and Yoko Ono. I don't find the vocals pleasant whatsoever even if many find Mauricia Platon's voice unique. A bit of a Henry Cow/RIO sound to this Zao recording as well. As another reviewer wrote here, I gave this one more than a few tries and I generally enjoy all fusion. Zao's KAWANA recording is very enjoyable and listeneable, whereas this just sounds _avant garde_ for the sake of it. Maybe the band felt the same as they dumped (or she left?) ZAO after this recording. For collectors of Zeuhl music only.
Gooner | 2/5 |