Meshuggah - None CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

3 stars To be honest, this is a great record if you've never heard of Meshuggah or are being introduced. I've been a Meshuggah fan for a while now and when I listen to this, Its just not what I expect from them. For starters, the vocals sound like Nickelback's Chad Kroeger. Secondly, the quality is pretty bad. And although the experimental aspect of it is very cool, it just didn't turn out as good as they though it would. Most of the songs tend to repeat themselves, but they do have their moments. Humiliative, Sickening and Aztec Two Step are the ones that are very long winded and repeat themselves. Ritual is absolutely fricken amazing! It's like it's not even Meshuggah! Gods of Rapture I found very well executed and well thought out. I really love it when Thordendal plays those almost jazzy guitar solos. God of Rapture's solo was pretty cool.

So basically this record has the right intentions but for the most part falls upon deaf ears like mine. Most of the rabid angry Meshuggah fans expect every track to be Bleed. I can see why this record is more embellished on the archives. 3 stars.

Treasure | 3/5 |