Porcupine Tree - Deadwing CD (album) cover

DEADWING

Porcupine Tree

Diaby
4 stars At least one reviewer stated before me, that at the first listen he got easily impressed by the music, but later he changed his opinion. I also changed it, but in a positive way. This was the first album I've ever heard from PT, and that time I haven't got into the heavier stuff yet. It sounded just like average, but I also have to say that I didn't pay too much attention.

And later I gave the album more chances. I rather listened to it from the third track, 'cos I didn't like Shallow. (Later I realized that the opener is worth listen to.) I guess it took me when I was really sad and then I skipped to The Start of Something Beautiful...then came the lyrics, which was exactly the same what I was feeling.

1. Deadwing: A bit repetitive sometimes, especially the rhythm-section; sometimes metalish, sometimes ambient-ish, and the Yes I'd have to say I like my privacy part is just awesome, the song needed more from this.

2. Shallow: The less interesting. Boring, non-prog and just some unnecessary heaviness.

3. Lazarus: The ballad. Beautiful, I have nothing more to say.

4. Halo: Strange, that's for sure. I almost hated this earlier, but now I find it interesting and the contrast between verses and chorus is far original.

5. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here: The epic. Just fantastic is the way they fill twelve minutes with music, although there is some un-understandable hammering in the middle. But the solo of Åkerfeldt makes you forget it soon.

6. Mellotron Scratch: It might be the most eclectic song of the album by changing moods and styles. Superb!

7. Open Car: Very short and surprising track. It starts heavily but the chorus is very soft and the way it ends...just breathtaking. But please someone tell me, WHAT THE HELL IS A HORSE-SHAPED SHELL?

8. The Start of Something Beautiful: I have the strongest connection with this track, because of the forementioned reason. A bit repetitive sometimes, but the emotional-lyrical side is very strong, I will never forget the chorus, and the instrumental parts are excellent. I like it very much.

9. Glass Arm Shattering: Not a highlight, almost the entire song is ambient. But a relaxing song to close this awesome album.

4.4 stars, due to the first two songs.

P.S.: I have to mention, that PT is very good at bringing in new melodies by the ending part of a song.

Diaby | 4/5 |