Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation CD (album) cover

OVER-NITE SENSATION

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

Valdez
2 stars Over-night sensation was the first Frank Zappa album I had ever owned and being a 18 year old kid I thought it was pretty darn funny. Tweezers... 40 dollar bills... dental floss... auras and doras. The music was cool but the lyrics were the interesting feature to me at the time. I still get a little kick out of this record from time to time but it's just not the same.

The whole xylophone and hyper wazoo thing has finally become in my estimation somewhat monotonous and irritating. Zappa's music is an acquired taste thing... kind of like Bleu cheese or plain yogurt... pickled herring and kim chi. It's certainly not for everyone. Consider a line from Dinah Moe Hum:

I whipped off her bloomers and stiffened my thumb and applied rotation on her sugar plum I poked and stroked til my wrist got numb and I still didn't hear no Dinah Moe Hum...

Yeah it's funny in a junior high kind of way. Like streaking through Sears was funny. I was really happy when he released Shut up and play yer guitar. I cringe every time I hear his voice anymore. I once liked this stuff.

Valdez | 2/5 |