Saena - Saena CD (album) cover

SAENA

Saena

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Very strong and original band from mexico. An execellent mix of classic prog, jazz, fusion and some latin music put together for some great effect. I don´t have much to add to Cesar Inca´s and Memowakeman´s length, detalied reviews, so mine will be a brief one.

All say is that I was quite surprised from what I heard. The music is surely complex, well crafted and very well played. Margarita Botello´s voice and Alejandro Sánchez´s violin are the main atractions here, along with great keyboards passages and a firm and precise rhyhtm section. Although I´m not really a jazz rock/fusion fan I can´t deny their talent to write consistent, strong pieces of music that defies any categorization. It´s their first but you won´t find any amateurism here. In fact they sound so personal and cohesive you´ll think you´re dealing with a band that has years and years playing and recording together.

Saena is definitly a band to watch for. If you´re looking for some intricated, jazz tinged prog music with lots of personality, don´t waste any more time and buy this CD. Olé, hermanos!

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |