Yes - The Ladder  CD (album) cover

THE LADDER

Diaby
4 stars That was the first progressive rock album I've ever listened to. At the time I was around 10 (~2002-3), my father (also a big fan of prog) played that CD a lot, among others, in order to introduce me and my younger brother to that kind of music. I was very impressed with everything: the music (which is kind of a light prog: complex music which is listenable for people with other musical directions), the cover, the booklet - I haven't even learned any English, but I tried to follow the lyrics -, I can't forget that it was my first step into prog.

1. Homeworld (The Ladder): The first is the best. Here. Nine minutes of the classic Yes, with a bit moderner sound. This is the best track they've recorded since The Gates of Delirium, no doubt here. The structure is awesome, a slow building-up, then lots of excellent theme changes, and the end closes it as it should be closed.

2. It Will Be a Good Day (The River): Calm as a large river. Great background vocals characterize this track, which is one of the best 5-minute long songs by the band so far.

3. Lightning Strikes: It contains some horns and the strangest drum sound from Yes ever! It shines a bit to be produced by drum machines, but no, that's just what you feel first time (if you're a long time prog and Yes fan). Maybe the weakest point of the album.

4. Can I?: One and a half minute of wordless singing and some insruments in the background...not really a song, but neither something very bad.

5. Face to Face: A light song. The ending is great, it works as an introduction to If Only You Knew, but it's a bit repetitive (e.g. the bass lines).

6. If Only You Knew: A love song from Yes. Strange, eh? It was my first favourite song at the time I got known the album.

Still love it, the middle keyboard-vocal part could be its climax. Beautiful melodies are flowing around the listener, that's the ultimate love song (the most complex, at least).

7. To Be Alive (Hep Yadda): Oriental feelings are the trademarks of this song. Comfortable, average one, the middle part-shift is interesting.

8. Finally: The hardest rocking song of the album, with lots of speed and energy. Khoroshev's keyboard parts fit very well in the song. We have to admit: he's not worse than Wakeman or Moraz. And Anderson's throaty voice...he's a genius.

9. The Messenger: Funny, but this song is a tribute to Bob Marley, for this reason we can hear out a little reggae-feeling (especially in the instrumentation), that shows Yes' genius: they touch very different things that are turning to gold. Strong bassline, good melodies, time and temp shifts and a freaking awesome acoustic outro (one touch...one voice...one world...one life...).

10. New Language: The second epic opens with a great organ solo and remains great, energetic, therefore it could be another higlight.

11. Nine Voices: An acoustic song, which is a great way to finish The Ladder, because of its mood.

Listen to it in whatever mood you are, you will fell happy in the end. Not a masterpiece, but a very good album deserving 4 stars.

Diaby | 4/5 |