Focus - Moving Waves  CD (album) cover

MOVING WAVES

Focus

johan15
5 stars Moving Waves is such a fine example of early 1970's progressive rock. I believe it is Focus' masterpiece and a fantastic album. Hocus Pocus is iconic. Akkerman's solos in the song are some of the best of the early 70's. Le clochard is a beautiful classical guitar piece with soft Mellotron accompanying by the great Thijs van Leer.

Focus II is one of my favorite Focus songs to play along to on guitar besides just listening. The complexity and beauty is unreal. The song, Eruption, is an epic of a composition. Every time I listen to it, I am always waiting for a part in the middle after the first drum solo with majestic Mellotron and a passionate solo by Akkerman.

This album deserves more credit because of the boundaries it pushed at the time. One thing most forget is how much jazz influence there is in Focus' music. In some ways, Focus could have been considered a jazz fusion group.

Give Moving Waves the listen it deserves and it will soon provide you with endless musical bliss.

johan15 | 5/5 |