Therion - Of Darkness CD (album) cover

OF DARKNESS

Therion

UMUR
2 stars Of Darkness... is the debut album from Swedish death metal act Therion. Therion had released two demo tapes and an EP before the release of this album, so itīs not exactly the first release from the band. Most people in progressive circles know Therion for their later more progressive operatic metal, but I remember when Of Darkness... came out in 1991. I was heavily into death metal in those days, and of course that included the very dominant/ influential Swedish death metal scene with bands like Entombed, Dismember, Unleashed, Grave, Carnage and of course Therion.

The music on Of Darkness... is pretty typical old school Swedish death metal with both fast paced and more mid-paced down-tuned metal riffing. The vocals are very brutal growls. The songs donīt differ much from each other so if you like the first song The Return chances are that you will enjoy the rest of the album just as much. There are not many melodic elements in Therionīs sound on Of Darkness... but a few melodic guitars do mean that the album become a bit more varied than what initial impressions might imply. In addition to the original songs from the album the 2000 re-release also include four bonus tracks taken from the Time Shall Tell EP (1990).

The musicianship is good but not outstanding in any way. I like the brutal vocals though. Vocalist Christofer Johnsson sounds like he means it and thatīs a quality Iīm always after when listening to music with growling vocals.

The production is actually very good for the time, but the album has been re-mastered in the 2000 Nuclear Blast version that I have ( from the The Early Chapters of Revelation Box- set), so maybe the original version didnīt sound this well. I simply canīt remember.

Of Darkness... is an enjoyable album if youīre a fan of the early nineties Swedish death metal scene but even for that genre the album does get a bit trivial along the way and I canīt give it more than a 2 star rating.

UMUR | 2/5 |