Everon - Flood CD (album) cover

FLOOD

Everon

UMUR
2 stars Flood is the second full-length studio album from German progressive rock act Everon. Everonīs debut album Paradoxes (1993) was a good album in many respects but I had a hard time with the strong German accent on the vocals. Therefore it is not an album I listen to very often. Some things have improved on Flood but the flaws are unfortunately as evident as they were on the debut.

The music has elements of both neo-progressive and borderline (soft) progressive metal/ AOR/ hard rock. The music sometimes remind me of Rush on the Hold Your Fire album, but without reaching the same high quality of songwriting as the masters. But people who like that kind of music should try out this album. There are many enjoyable parts on Flood for me, but as it were on Paradoxes (1993) Iīm having a hard time with the strongly accented German vocals from Oliver Philips. Itīs such a shame because thereīs nothing wrong with his skills or his voice. Maybe itīs just me but if you can overlook this annoying element, this is actually pretty good music.

The musicianship is excellent. The band is very well playing and the compositions are strong even though they do lack a bit of memorable moments or hooks IMO.

The production is excellent. Clean, crystal clear modern production.

Because of the above mentioned flaws with the vocals Iīm gonna give an album that I would normally have rated with a 3 star rating 2 stars. I simply canīt ignore that accent and it annoys me. I feel bad about it though.

UMUR | 2/5 |