Pendragon - Pure CD (album) cover

PURE

Pendragon

Menswear
4 stars Follow the evolution of the dragon.

Wheni discovered Pendragon, I had high expectations, because of my love for Clive Nolan and his keys. But what I didn't know was that the mastermind behind the band was Nick Barett and not Nolan. And I always had a love/ hate relationship with the band, depending on which track I listened. Some transported me in a world of fantasy and mystery (Paintbox for instance), but more than often, the whole aftertaste of their sugary approach just drived me nuts.

Did Pendragon also wanted to have a patrimony, like Marillion? Fish gave a lot of magic and fantasy to the band, including a jester as a main character. Well for Pendragon, the ''magic world'' theme seems to be recurrent. Ahrg, the cramps are back again. I don't really feel like being embarked by a smiling Harry Potter looking magician, taking off his hat to reveal a trail of stars leading to a wonderful place; that artwork seemed so cheesy, and it probably reflected on the music (read soapy and dull).

But hey, what happened? They brought a new and energetic drumming (double bass pedal!), some sharper guitars and modern keyboards! Wow, it's like a future version of a band that wanted probably to try something new, something fresh. And the results are talking for themselves: this rocks hard. Like Arena leaned toward metal with Opera Fanatica, Pendragon is ever knee deep in modern metal. Wow again, I hope Nolan saved some keyboard ideas for the new Arena album, because he never played that stuff with them!

A surprisingly aggressive album at times blended with the same Latimer/ Gilmour solos; well a definte bump into the future for a band that really needed it.

Congratulations Mr. Barett, you've win me back.

Menswear | 4/5 |