Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

Symphonic Team
3 stars I am a bit surprised that this album is so highly rated here on Prog Archives. It is not a bad album. The vocals are an acquired taste, but I think they are alright. You can certainly tell that Fish of Marillion had been listening to this band. The playing is not sloppy, but hardly impressive either. The music is very vocal driven. There are a few instrumental breaks, but the vocals are up front almost all the time. This can easily be seen in the lyrics sheet - very long lyrics. Unusual ones too.

I can enjoy this from time to time, and I have given it many chances and it has grown on me. But I don't think it will grow any more than this. It is alright but it is certainly not a masterpiece.

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |