Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire CD (album) cover

BIRDS OF FIRE

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Anderson III
5 stars This is the 2nd of two studio lp's from the original Mahavishnu Orchestra, and not unlike their 1st, it's a musical masterpiece. While I think the debut was really McLaughlin's time to shine, on BOF it's Billy Cobham who shines brightest. So bright, actually, that I think this is the definitive drummer album! If there are any drummers here who haven't heard this album for some unholy reason, get it today!

If you're already familiar with the debut and liked it, it's almost impossible to dislike this album. The sounds, energy and improvisation is similar on both albums, but it's obviously still fresh because you can't really find anything like it anywhere else! And I almost forgot: if you didn't know, these guys can play...

There's some parts on Birds of Fire I think you definitely should check out. Pay special attention to Cobham's drums just before and during McLaughlin's solo on Miles Beyond. The interplay between the two is nothing short of astounding. The frantic duel between guitar and Goodman's violin on Celestial Terrestrial Commuters is worth noticing. Rick Laird plays his only proper solo, which is incredible, with the group on One Word... yeah, too many high points for me to list. Go listen to the album already!!

Anderson III | 5/5 |