Allan Holdsworth - Velvet Darkness  CD (album) cover

VELVET DARKNESS

Allan Holdsworth

Ron Murvihill
5 stars Velvet Darkness is certainly a flawed album, in it's recording quality, its production value (and its length). It is one of my very favorite Holdsworth recordings, though, because of two things: its heavy rock sound and the enchanting acoustic guitar pieces.

I am generally a great fan of good production. In this case, however, I love the rawness of the early Zeppelinesque rock sound combined with Allan's artistic brilliance on a more standard sounding guitar.

The three acoustic pieces, while short, are the highlight of the album. His unique use of harmony and improvisation transforms the everyday sound of the guitar into something very special.

If you are a big fan of Allan's strive for precision and magnificent sound, this may music may not be for you. Otherwise, it is well worth a listen and I feel very fortunate to have attained a copy. (Sorry, Allan, it is very good.)

Ron Murvihill | 5/5 |