Rush - Chronicles CD (album) cover

CHRONICLES

Rush

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars A big deal when it was released

This was the first official Rush compilation album and it was welcomed with open arms by myself who at that time only had Hold Your Fire, A Show Of Hands and Presto on cassette tapes. Accidently, I bought my first CD player the same week as the release of this compilation album. If I am not mistaken, Chronicles is the first double CD album I ever bought. It was hush-hush time when I put the first CD in the CD player. God had arrived. This album opened up a new world to me. Rush in other words. The rest of the albums was quickly purchased.

Eighteen years and an inflation of Rush compilation albums later, this album has somehow lost it's value. Chronicles consist of 2 x tracks from each of the Rush albums from the debut to A Show Of Hands and Presto (one track each). The best Rush albums, many will argue. Passage To Bangkok, which was omitted from the All The World's A Stage CD due to lack of space is also included as the only new track here.

The problem is as usual the choice of tracks. In hindsight, other tracks should be included and others omitted. That's a very long debate. But all their greatest tracks are here and there is nothing wrong about this compilation album, besides of the cover art work which is dull. I just wish this was the only compilation album covering the debut to Hold Your Fire era..... But the record label has lost their head and devalued the Rush brand with countless other compilations. Which is a pity.

3 stars.