Roxy Music - Roxy Music CD (album) cover

ROXY MUSIC

Roxy Music

UMUR
3 stars Roxy Musicīs self-titled debut studio album was released in 1972. The album was recorded over the course of a single week and the recordings were financed by the groups managers because they didnīt have a record contract yet. The album was produced by Peter Sinfield ( King Crimson). The original LP release didnīt host any singles but a few weeks after signing their record contract Roxy Music recorded two songs for a single. Virginia Plain and The Numberer. That single was very successful and meant that the album got attention too. Most later pressings of the album include Virginia Plain.

The music is very eclectic and draws in elements from many different genres to make a rather unique sound. Thereīs a bit of progressive rock here ( mostly curtesy of Brian Enoīs synths), some fifties styled rockīnīroll elements and lots of commercial pop/ rock appeal too. There are some real party songs here in Re-Make/Re-Model and Would You Believe and itīs hard not to smile when listening to those. Not all songs are in this style though but I find it hard really to describe the way Roxy Music sound on this debut. Main composer and lead singer Bryan Ferry has a pretty strange voice and itīs surely an aquired taste if youīre gonna enjoy that one. Lots of vibrato. Thereīs also lots of sax in the music and a tight rythm section. My favorite moments on the album is when Brian Eno enters though. A song like Ladytron is just brilliant because of his synths.

The musicianship is excellent. A well playing band with lots of individualists. Donīt expect anything really challenging though. Itīs not that kind of music.

The production is professional and well sounding.

The music on Roxy Music isnīt exactly to my liking all the time and even though there are moments of brilliance itīs just not an album that really sticks in my head even after repeated listening. I acknowledge that itīs a highly influential album and that itīs a good album, but for me itīs a 3 star rating. No more, no less.

UMUR | 3/5 |