Magrathea - Legends CD (album) cover

LEGENDS

Magrathea

Tarcisio Moura
3 stars The first time I heard this album I had the same feeling I got when I found Citizen Cain┤s Serpents In Camouflage or Unifaun┤s debut: is it the long lost classic Genesis album? Well, certainly this english duo makes no secrecy about their main influence for Legends. Apart from the ugly cover, I found this CD to be very pleasant and interesting, although - surprise, surprise! - not very original. The keyboards driven music has Tony Banks written all over it. Oh well, at least with the vocals they don┤t try too hard to sound like Gabriel nor Collins.

The songwriting is fine, with some very beautiful moments on songs like Galadriel, Fear Of the Unknown and Dreamscape. But also there are some tracks on which they try to simulate some of Genesis more Whimsical side and that really does not work. Production and mixing is another problem too, since they could be a lot better. A little more atention to the guitars and drums parts would have improved their sound a lot.

If you like classic Genesis, this is sure for you. I┤m looking forward to hear Magrathea┤s lastest and earlier works. Quite promising stuff. 3 stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 3/5 |