King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King CD (album) cover

IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

King Crimson

Alitare
5 stars A trip through musical and genre creation.

This album is a landmark album for not just prog, but music in general. With experimentation, avant-garde, and a dark painted scene as backdrop for some of the best music you will hear.

Starting off with the metallic punch of 21st Century Schizoid Man, it is a dark proto metal that has depressing, yet powerful lyrics and musical skill that was quite possibly unmatched in their time.

And racing down the last song's highway you fly off the cliff into the soft ravine of I talk to wind, a flute lead peaceful tune. Calm and floaty, it is another emotion led by this brilliant band.

Another somber tune, Epitaph, this one darker than I Talk To Wind. But better, in my opinion, even though this whole album is simply classic.

Moonchild, which is often slated as the only weak point on this album, is also the most experimental. I have been able to let it grow on me, but can understand the reasons for dislike.

Finally, you have The title track, a prog opus. A befitting end to a magnificent album.

Alitare | 5/5 |