Henry Cow - Western Culture  CD (album) cover

Henry Cow

3 stars This HC album would seem to be the critics favourite (am I correct?). I agree that there are some great moments and pieces on it, but as a whole it is not something I put on very much after the first couple of listens. The music (all instrumental) is very complex (similar to Zappa's classical music), but on this album there are both fewer melodies in those complex lines, and fewer push-the-envelope abstract sonic experiments (as on Legend, Unrest, or Concerts). So, this one, for me, seems less dynamic, more flat. Some great moments though.
| 3/5 |