Giant Squid - Metridium Field CD (album) cover

METRIDIUM FIELD

Giant Squid

Experimental/Post Metal

Sgt. Smiles
4 stars Love at first listen.

I sampled Giant Squid because of this site, and bought both of their albums immediately. Just a hunch, really, for my gut rarely lets me down. I've never been too keen on sludge/doom/black/death metal, mainly for the lack of instrument variation and the dreaded growling. Thank almighty for Giant Squid. They throw driving doomy riffs at you that are wrapped in beautiful acoustics and actually make the growling seem interesting, perhaps by limiting it.

Metridium Field is a fantastic listen throughout: heavy and light blended well. What tugs at me the most is the singing, which is usually the least important aspect on my good music checklist. The music here is good, but the singing enhances every aspect of its mood. The lead singer sounds a bit like Serj from System Of A Down, which, accompanied by the soft and pretty female vocals, is a perfect fit. I can't get enough of this album right now. I can't do a song by song review, for they all have they same quality of interest for me, just different shades of darkness. I will, however, say that the title track is the only repetitive epic that comes to mind that puts me in a trance. It is long and monotonous, but the background solos of different instruments at different times make the repeating hook even more intense.

It's Transylvania meets 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Turn out the lights, lay down, and put this album on nice 'n loud...it's the most peacful form of despair I've ever encountered.

4 very heavy stars.