Steve Hackett - Cured  CD (album) cover

CURED

Steve Hackett

Slartibartfast
3 stars Cured? Give me back the disease please.

I guess the title and album cover are meant to be a little joke. We see Steve nursing what appears to be a tropical drink, so either he's cured himself of sobriety or is having the hair of the dog, so to speak, to cure a hangover. Unfortunately, the typical progressive music fan will probably need a few stiff ones to make it through this album.

I can only guess that Steve was a little envious of the commercial success Genesis was having and decided to make a go of it himself. On the bright side the album does only last for a just little over 30 minutes. Then on the other hand, that did leave enough room for at least one longer prog song or a couple of shorter ones, which would have improved the average quality of the album. The commercial tracks offered here are just so-so as pop songs go and let's face it, Steve's vocal style really isn't one with commercial potential.

The bright spots on the album are the creepy The Air Conditioned Nightmare and the acoustic guitar piece, A Cradle Of Swans. Also, to a lesser extent, the ode to a bad dream, Overnight Sleeper. The rest are kind of snorers. Fortunately, Steve did get better and has subsequently added many fine progressive and classical style albums to his catalog. I finally added the CD version of this to my collection, but primarily out of nostalgia as I saw him on tour for this one. Barely rounds up to good, but non-essential.

Slartibartfast | 3/5 |