Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

GODBLUFF

Van Der Graaf Generator

toroddfuglesteg
4 stars What can I add to what allready has been said about this album ? Well, my own opinion.

The album starts with the pastorial The Undercover Man. A hymn and one of VDGG's best ever songs. A very intense vocal driven hymn whose the staple diet of any prog rock fan. Essential and a masterpiece. Nuff said. The second song is another classic in the form of the spacy, jazzy Scorched Earth. The third song Arrow starts with a free jazz impro before it suddenly changes over to a new hymn like vocal driven song. Peter Hamill stamps his authority all over this excellent song. The Sleepwalkers is a quirky song with a little nod towards the Canterbury Scene. Excellent stuff and again a classic.

In my humble opinion, this is as close to a classic prog rock album as you can get.......without being a classic album. I find this album a bit lacking. I cannot put my finger on it, but it is not an album I play that often. I guess I find it a bit tiresome after a while. But it is still a great album and highly recommended.

4 stars