Quiet Sun - Mainstream CD (album) cover

Quiet Sun

Canterbury Scene

4 stars A very strange experience indeed.

It is almost impossible to describe the one and only album from this band. A band which includes Brian Eno amongst others. The typical avant-garde quirkyness is well represented here. So is the jazz and fusion stuff. Then there is some very melodic parts here too. In fact, the album ends with some melodic parts which reminds me about a soundtrack for an American crime TV series. This albums takes influences from as diverse acts as MATCHING MOLE, SOFT MACHINE, GONG, EGG, KING CRIMSON, HENRY COW and some avant-garde jazz bands. Quiet Sun is in this landscape.

The quality is very good and it is easy to understand why this album is regarded as one of the best Canterbury Scene albums. Although, I would more call it a RIO or a Fusion album than Canterbury Scene album. But the quality is so good that I do not care. There is stuff here that will keep my brain occupied for a long time. And that is all the hallmarks for a good prog rock album.

4 stars.