The Muffins - Loveletter #2: The Ra Sessions CD (album) cover

LOVELETTER #2: THE RA SESSIONS

The Muffins

Canterbury Scene

Slartibartfast
2 stars Loveletter #2 is supposed to be a companion disk for Double Negative according to the liner notes. More of a companion disk to the 1980's release <185>. Frith's involvement with the Muffins in 1980 was what drew me to check out these guys. That musical intersection produced some of the more dissonant material that I've heard from both artists.

This isn't straight up Muffins but a session with Marshall Allen and Knoel Scott, from the Sun Ra Arkestra, doing improvisation.

The Muffins catalog so far is brief and I don't find this to be one of their more shining moments. Let's face it, this is difficult listening music. Not actually bad, but not likely to have broad appeal for the average progressive music fan. I'll have to recommend to try before you buy, if you can. But, if you trust the artists involved and want to try something a little weird and off the beaten path, a little improv can be fun. Just brace yourself for having a lot of horn blowing at you.

Slartibartfast | 2/5 |