The D Project - Shimmering Lights CD (album) cover

The D Project

4 stars I find The D Project an interesting musical entity. They are very hard to peg down in terms of their genre. Clearly, they are progressive (neo-) at the onset, but on many songs they slide right into styles that bely their prog status. At times rather Dream Theater-like, others like no one I can put a handle on. The songs are all mostly interesting: virtuoso instrumentation all-around. These guys are veterans of other bands and know their chops. The only real criticism I might have is the slight tendency towards excessiveness: that level of fast playing where the musician tries to cram in as many notes as possible in a given lead. On a melodic level they are right up with the best. The tracks are memorable and recognizable after just a couple of listens. My favorites are They Come and Grow and That's Life. Very promising band. 4 stars.
beebs | 4/5 |