Shingetsu - Shingetsu CD (album) cover

3 stars Shingetsu from Japan is a new band to me. My impression is that the prog rock scene in Japan has some good bands. This band is one of the better bands.

Shingetsu does lush symphonic prog like GENESIS with some hints of CATHEDRAL, CAMEL and YES. The vocals is pretty dark and very effectful. The organs and the guitars is very GENESIS like. The flute is not too far away from FOCUS land.

The opening track Oni is excellent and very GENESIS ala their Wind & Wuthering era with plenty of time shifts and intricate bass lines. This is where I also detects hints of CATHEDRAL. The rest of the tracks are in the same vein. Very interesting with it's lush landscapes of keyboards and guitars. The songs are not that great though. Maybe ten times on the turntable is not enough to give the album enough justice. But I know for a fact that this is an album I will listen to in the coming years. This is an album worthy the inclusion in any good symphonic prog collection.

3.55 stars.